Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Day of Firsts!


Today was our first holiday with Kaylani, and it started off with another "first", and this time, it was for all of us! My brother Jeph and my sister-in-law Shannon gave birth to their second child, and their first girl! That means I now have a niece on my side, and more importanly, Kaylani has a beautiful new baby cousin. Her name is Zoe Cecilia, and we all can't wait to meet her tomorrow! Keep an eye out for pictures, or check out Connor and Zoe's own picture site (to be updated REAL soon). The funny coincidence is that Zoe and Kaylani were the EXACT same size and weight at birth (7lb 10oz, 20.5")!

Anyways, I'll let you know a little bit more about her tomorrow after I've had the chance to meet the newest Tam, but in the meantime, we had our own little first ourselves. Mommy and Daddy gave Kaylani her first tub bath! Since her umbilical cord fell off about 2 days ago, we thought we would give her a nice cleaning before her first Thanksgiving dinner. We were pleasantly surprised that Kaylani didn't mind the water at all. Actually, we think she kinda liked it, all the way until we picked her up to dry her off. And I don't blame her since it's cold once you get out of the water!

Kaylani's other first was sleeping through her first Thanksgiving. Well, she slept through the first hour of dinner, and when she woke up, she didn't want to sit at the head of the table where she had a reserved seat. I'm sure things will be a LOT different at next year's Thanksgiving. It's hard to believe that this one is already in the books!

One thing that I learned this year is that I'm not quite the eater that I used to be. I don't know if it's fatherhood that has changed me, or just the fact that I didn't have Jeph or Tim here to help me out, but that 17lb turkey kicked my ass. Another lesson I learned was that if you want to eat a ton until you're really full, really tired, and just want to lay down, you should think through that very carefully when you have a baby. My time to lay down did not coincide with Kaylani's time to lay down. Lesson learned. Won't happen again!

But now, Kaylani is minutes away from being swaddled up and putting her first Thanksgiving behind her. And Mommy and Daddy are anxiously waiting to get their first 2 hour sleep shift out of the way, so good night and Happy Thanksgiving!

And for all of you who aren't quite sleepy yet, have just awaken from a nap, or just come here to see pictures, here you go! New pictures from the last 3 days (warning: some photos contain full frontal nudity), and a section dedicated just to Kaylani's 1st Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

No comments: