Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Paternal instinct or crazy?


Last night, Kaylani slept in her room. She slept in her crib. Most importantly, she slept alone. Its been 10 days, and she slept alone, in her room, in her crib. And I'm not talking about for a few minutes either. She stayed there for 3 hours, woke up to eat, slept for 2 hours, and then did that again. It was AWESOME! I know some kids who are way older than her that have never done that before!

Now you would think that all of that means I got a great night sleep. And its true, I did get some good sleep, but it wasn't a great night. After about an hour, I kept "hearing" her cry. Thinking that our monitor wasn't working, I kept getting up and moving closer to her room everytime I "heard" her. The first 6 times I checked, she wasn't crying, but that 7th time, I was right! So is it paternal instinct, or I am just a little bit crazy?

Now the argument towards crazy is an easy one to make (it always has been when it comes to me), but don't you think there is such a thing as paternal instinct? I do. I don't believe that her actually crying on the 7th time was simply because it had been 2 hours and it was time for her to wake up. I don't believe that I made so much noise creeping towards and opening her door that she woke up. I truly believe that I've developed paternal instincts.

I can't wait to see what other senses I'll develop! I hope its something cool like invisibility. I have heard some dads talk about how their kids don't even know they're there. They also say their kids don't even hear them when they talk, so maybe that's another developed sense. Either way, must be cool to have these "new" senses...right?

Speaking of cool, new pictures are posted. No paternal instincts required to view.

4 comments:

Tom Sherman said...

No superpower comes without hard work. You have to hone your skills through vigorous practice little grasshopper.

JonnyTam13 said...

YOU need to hone YOUR skills. Come babysit.

Anonymous said...

some people let their kids sleep with them until after the first year. I'm glad you're not like them.

JonnyTam13 said...

You and me both!