Friday, June 19, 2009

Orange you glad we had carrots?

Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs

We've had 2 successful road trips in the last 2 days. First, we made it the 4.5 hour drive up to Boston with Kaylani sleeping the entire time on Wednesday night. Then, we made it 2 hours to Cape Cod on Thursday with Kaylani again sleeping the entire time. And to top it all off, she even slept 9 hours in a new place, in a ridiculously narrow metal crib, right next to us! So far, she's been everything we could have hoped for, and maybe even just a little bit more.

The odd part is that the "little bit more" she might be is orange. After spending some time in the morning with Titi Glenda yesterday, she asked if we were feeding Kaylani a lot of carrots and sweet potatoes. Besides the fact that my first reaction was "gee, I guess Titi Glenda doesn't read my blog," my second reaction was "umm...yeah. Why?" And that's when she said something that boggled my mind.

"She looks kinda orange. That usually happens when they eat a lot of orange foods like carrots."

Whaaaaaat? Really? I mean, she eats lots of green beans and peas too, but I wouldn't call her green. After doing a bit of research google search, apparently there's something called "carotenemia" which is "a medical term for a condition that causes the skin to turn orange-ish due to increased blood carotene levels." And wouldn't you know it, carrots, sweet potatoes, and winter squash (or 75% of her foods) are high in beta-carotene which cause her to turn orange.

So now that I was ready to accept the fact that Titi Glenda was right and not just spouting out some ridiculous old wives' tale, I had to accept the fact that I didn't notice. Now, my first excuse (for those who know me, I'm full of excuses) was that I see her everyday so I can't notice slight changes in skin tone, but when Mommy heard, she jumped onboard and said "you know, I was thinking the same thing the other week!" I, of course, called BS, but that's besides the point. My second excuse was that she's not orange, she's just got a suntan because we don't put suntan lotion on her. After I got dirty stares, I quickly backed out of that one with a "just kidding" and a smile (we really do put suntan lotion her).

The morale of the story is that I'm going to have to start paying even more attention to Kaylani. In all fairness, I've never been called a detail oriented person, at least not when it comes to people. I'm also the same guy who stared at Mommy for about 5 minutes before I realized that she chopped off 6" from her hair last year. In any case, it doesn't change the fact that I'm her Dad and I should know every little thing about her. I'd recommend that all of you do the same with your children so you don't feel as "uninformed" as I did. Orange you glad I wrote this post?

Now go check out Dad-Blogs for some great Fatherhood Friday posts! It wouldn't be Friday without it!

6 comments:

Apok said...

Plz dress her up as an oompa loompa and take pictures before the orange wears off.

i've also down the hair thing. she had to ask 5 times if i noticed anything different :(

SurprisedMom said...

What Apok said. NO! Just kidding! Believe it or not, my oldest did the orange thing too, and someone had to point it out to me. You think it would be easy to see since she's so fair skinned, but either I thought it was normal, or didn't have a clue because I was a new mom. So I can believe you didn't see the orange skin.
Yes, the hair thing. Well, now I just ask hubby if he likes my haircut. He compliments me and all is good.
Loved your play on the word orange. It made me laugh.

Andrew's Daddies said...

i will feed my son a lot of carrots right before halloween to assist with the pumpkin costume

Jason said...

I totally understand the not recognizing what you see every day thing. I'm right there with ya.

Melisa Wells said...

That happened to my older son too. It is truly really hard to notice something like that when you're with your baby everyday. Sometimes it takes an "outsider" to clue you in.

Hey, orange isn't such a bad color! :)

JonnyTam13 said...

Oompa Loompa? Pumpkins? I can't believe you would suggest such things. Oh wait, I mean I can't believe I didn't think of it first! Now where am I going to find a green hat/wig/top for her...

As for not noticing, I'm with all of ya! It is hard to see it! Just like women's haircuts! I think you should have to wear signs or something when you cut your hair. Sure would make life easier :)