Friday, May 29, 2009

I've got you Beaba!


Kaylani shops at nicer places than we do. It sounds pretty impossible since we're the ones who technically control where she shops, but those were the words that came out of my mouth when Mommy told me she wanted to buy Kaylani a baby food blender from Williams Sonoma. To be fair, we've shopped at Williams Sonoma before, but we normally just buy a can of (overpriced) blueberry waffle mix and call it a day. But that's pretty much the extent of our Williams Sonoma shopping. That all changed when Mommy sent me this email:
Cool! Watch the video!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e203/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1|16|||0|||||||baby%20food%20processor&cm_src=SCH
And here's my reply:
$150??? It better grow food too!
That's right. We were now in the market for a $150 baby food blender. Gone were the days of shopping for regular $20 blenders, or normal blenders that weren't lined with gold (what else would make a blender cost so much?). But after watching the video and realizing just how much time and effort it could end up saving us, we went ahead and bought it (from Amazon.com of course). And after our first use of it tonight, I can honestly say that I'd sacrifice a finger for this product.

We haven't even used the Beaba Babycook machine in all its glory yet, but it's pretty amazing. Not only does it blend food into a nice smooth puree, but it also steam cooks any of the foods we want to make for Kaylani before blending it. It's a one stop baby meal maker! We started off slowly with the machine by using it to blend avocado, which is probably the easiest thing we could have ever done. Most people I know just mash avocados with a fork, but when in Rome, or when you have a Beaba Babycook machine, I say puree.

I kinda felt like Tim "the Toolman" Taylor because all of this was "more power" than what we really needed, but I have a feeling this thing is going to come in handy. But convenience doesn't come without a price. Good blenders have sharp blades, and for $150, it has a REALLY sharp blade. Unfortunately I found that out firsthand...literally. While cleaning the chamber, I ran my finger against the blade and cut myself pretty good. Mommy kinda freaked out, but I'm okay. Nothing that a really tight Band-aid wouldn't fix.

So we're 1 day into making our own baby food. First comes avocado, next comes the WORLD...of fruits and vegetables. Soon enough we'll be steaming and blending our way through grains, meats, frozen drinks, and all types of fun stuff. But for now, we'll take it slow. Especially when it comes to the cleaning part.

If you're in the market, I highly recommend picking one up if you can afford to shell out $150. But if you're looking for something cheaper, I offer you these free pictures of Kaylani over the last couple of days. Enjoy, but watch out. You never know when a sharp edge will sneak up on you. Oh, and happy official Fatherhood Friday. In case you're late to the party, you get a two-fer here at Daddy Diaries since yesterday's post was my actual FF post. For everyone else, don't forget to check out Dad-Blogs for more!

6 comments:

Tom Sherman said...

Can't you just steam cook the veggies on the stove and put them in your blender?

JonnyTam13 said...

It's like you don't know me at all...

SurprisedMom said...

It seems like a nice product, but that $150 price tag is a bit steep. If I had made my baby food, I probably would have followed Tommy's advice. But, I just popped open a jar of baby food. They were easy to use, were transportable and the girls liked them. Of course this product wasn't available when my girls were babies. I hope your little one is enjoying her food!

JonnyTam13 said...

Kaylani likes the veggies in a jar, but for some reason, she hates the fruit. Maybe it's the "extra" acid? Dunno, but hopefully she'll like the fresh stuff. Girls gotta get her fruit!

Otter Thomas said...

Even though it probably makes a mean frozen adult beverage I think I would have to pass. Hope your girl likes her new fruity purees.

InTheNightKitchen said...

Wow, a new kitchen toy I can actually justify! $150 does seem like a lot, but the amount of organic jarred food I buy from Whole Foods each week must add up to way more than that. I really like the idea of picking the specific produce to use.(Just curious - it looks like the same price on Amazon as at Williams-Sonoma, did you see a better deal that made you buy online vs in the store? I have a store right near me.) Keep the updates coming!