Monday, January 12, 2009

Camera's Anonymous

Recently, some of my friends and family have been reaching out to me to make sure I'm okay. They check in and see if I have enough things to occupy my time, and make sure that I can see properly. Other friends and family tell me that everything looks like it's going great. They say to keep going the way I'm going and to never change a thing. What both sides are talking about is of course the amount of pictures that I take.

If you've ever been around Kaylani and me, then I'm sure you've noticed the ever present presence of my camera. And yes, I am falling into the typical Asian stereotype by keeping my camera close by, but I can't seem to help it, and I'm usually not one to promote any type of stereotype. Now, I'm willing to accept the fact that I may go a little bit overboard when it comes to taking pictures, but I will not accept the fact that it's a problem. I think it's pretty awesome actually, and I'm not sure what I would have done if I didn't already own this camera.

For a bit of background, I received my Canon Rebel XT as a Christmas gift from my parents, brother, and sister-in-law last year. And before Mommy got pregnant, I probably only took 30 pictures with it in 3 months. Of course, usage picked up so we could take the pregnancy and nursery pictures that I've posted to our site, but I couldn't be bothered to carry it around and take it places with me. After all, it was so big and my Canon Elph did just fine. Before Kaylani was born, I'd probably put the total pictures taken at 200 within the 10 month period.

But since then, it's increased just a bit. Well, maybe a little bit more than a bit, but I'll let you decide for yourself if it's overboard. So, in the 66 days since Kaylani was born, I've taken roughly 3800 pictures, or an average of 57 pictures per day. Hmm, when I type it out like that, it does make it seem like I have a bit of a problem, but most problems don't have this much reward! After all, I get an awesome library of pictures to browse through whenever I want. And, since I've seen so many great photo calendars from my friends and family, I'm looking forward to putting my own together for 2010. If I keep up this pace, I'll have approximately 21,000 pictures to sort through next November. Hmmm, maybe it's not the best problem after all.

Well anyways, that's a problem I'll be happy to deal with later this year. For now, I'm going to keep taking pictures, but perhaps I'll try and tone it down just a bit. Since I just bought a new flash for my camera (can't you see the difference in the last 2 days?), it's not likely to happen any time soon, but I will calm it down a little bit. And to show you that I'm serious, I'm not even going to post any pictures tonight. I'd say that's a step in the right direction (even though Mommy took pictures already today and I typically only post every 2 days anyways). Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?

No comments: