Sunday, January 4, 2009

Girls talk a lot

Girls talk a lot. There's no other way to say that. Wait, that might be seen as offensive. Let me try and start over and clarify. Girls talk a lot. Nope, no way around it. Stereotypes all exist for a reason right? I'm Asian, so I'm good at math. Mommy is Puerto Rican, so she steals things. Well one of the stereotypes on girls is that they talk a lot, and Kaylani falls right into that.

Kaylani started babbling to us about 2-3 weeks ago, but it's become much more frequent now. Now there's no problem with baby babble, and in fact, most people will find it adorable, and you can put me right there in that category. But, when the babbling comes at 4:30am and goes on for an hour, it's not exactly cute. Okay, it's still damn cute, but it's a different kind of cute. More like the "I know you're being cute sweetheart but will you just close your eyes and go to bed since it's 4 o'freaking clock in the morning?" type of cute.

Last night started off great. Mommy read her 3 books (Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late, The Giving Tree, and of course Buenas Noches Luna) until she was done nursing, and then Kaylani went to sleep (or was "fast asleep" as Cousin Connor likes to say) at 9pm. Daddy tried to stay up and watch the football game (fell asleep as overtime started), and didn't even hear Mommy get out of bed at midnight or at 2am. But at 4:30am, when Mommy was done nursing, Daddy thought he would help out and put Kaylani to sleep after she was done.

By this point, I was kind of awake already, but definitely had one eye on the clock as I normal do for mid-morning events. Kaylani didn't want to be glided, or bounced, or swaddled. All she wanted to do was lay in her crib and talk. I sat in the glider and listened to her "coo" and "cah" about everything and nothing all at the same time. I was actually quite curious to know what she was babbling about, but there was nothing I could do about that. It was a good 45 minutes before I decided everyone was tired of listening (which includes her army of stuffed animals) and swaddled her up tightly and bounced and swayed her to sleep (which was no easy feat).

So the bottom line is that girls like to talk, and there's nothing wrong with that. After all, I like to listen, and I like girls, so it works out pretty well. And, when it's my baby girl doing the talking, you know Daddy's the sucker who loves it all. He's also the type of sucker who would run downstairs to get his video camera and record it at 5am (check out some video of her talking, although it had turned into slight crying by the time I got back, here). I'll accept the fact that Kaylani is a talker, but at the same time, I'm hopeful that phones (or whatever the means of conversation happen to be) are free in the future. All my engineer readers, you hear me? Or more appropriately, can you hear Kaylani?

No comments: