Monday, January 26, 2009

The Switch

I'm a traitor. I've switched sides. I spent so much time on one side of the line, that the fact that I'm just barely over on the other side seems so bad. But it's not my fault. All my friends were doing it. It was only once. I just tried it. I was holding it for a friend. I did it for a good cause! No matter what the excuse is that I tell myself, it's too true to be avoided. I'm a traitor.

Last night, I made the switch. For the first time, I used Burt's Bees Wash and Shampoo instead of a Johnson and Johnson product. I felt terrible for even thinking of using it, and I felt even worse when I actually bought it, but I have no good excuse because I did think about it and I did buy it. And last night, I even tried it. For those of you who think I'm making a big deal out of nothing, my client at work for the last 1.5 years has been Johnson's Baby, and for the last few months, Aveeno Baby. Overall, for the last 2 years, I've been working with Johnson & Johnson in some capacity. So while using a Burt's Bees product doesn't seem like the craziest thing (except for the fact that it cost $10 for a 12oz bottle of wash/shampoo), it is to me.

I've spent a lot of time reading over the benefits of Johnson's Baby products, and did my part to introduce new (and existing) moms to their wide range of products. I even used their products on Kaylani for the past 12 weeks and we all loved it, specifically the Soothing Naturals Wash and Shampoo. But in the back of our minds, Burt's Bees was always there. Ever since that fateful day back in the summer of 2007.

We were at our friend Heather's house, visiting her and her son Ben. Mommy was still pregnant of course, so we were just taking it all in. All it took was one sniff of Ben's hair and we were hooked. Whatever it was, we had to have it. More specifically, we had to have it for Kaylani. "It" turned out to be Burt's Bees. And while I was true and loyal to my client, "it" was always in the back of my mind.

So we tried it, and we loved it. The smell was a blend of coconut and something, and it didn't even matter what that something was. Kaylani took a nice long bath and came out smelling as good as ever. And, to top it off, she also slept for 9 hours after bath time. 9 hours of sleep, and smelled like coconut and something. I'd say that's worth $10 for a 12oz bottle. Now the bath and the fact that she was tired was probably the real reason she slept for 9 hours last night, but so far, I'm a believer. And being a believer makes me feel like a big traitor. I just hope that using Burt's Bees doesn't come back to sting me in the end! Get it? Yeah...

No comments: