Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Her smile...


Now that I'm pretty sure Kaylani doesn't suffer from painful infant gas (or at least not ALL the time), I'm completely mesmorized every time I see her smile. It's a good thing and a bad thing all wrapped into one little facial expression.

The good thing is I can tell she's happy. I can tell that she's comfortable and that she's excited about something that she sees, and usually, that something is me! But if it's not me, it's still great to see her smiling when she looks at Mommy, or her mobile, or her stuffed animals, or just at a wall (well, then it might be gas). Or maybe she's not even smiling at what she's seeing, but at what she's thinking. And hopefully, she's thinking about how great of a life she has and what great parents she has too.

Nothing beats the feeling of walking into her room and seeing her smile at you. The best times are when it's been awhile since I've seen her, like when she does it in the morning (or middle of the night), and especially when I come home from work. They say time apart only makes time together better, and I think that's true, except I'd still rather spend more time together.

Now, you're probably wondering what could possibly be bad about Kaylani smiling. It's not the smile that's bad, or the fact that she's smiling that's bad, but it's when she smiles that makes me think it's bad. For example, when she's being fussy in the car and Mommy and Daddy pull over to make sure she can catch a breath and see if everything is okay. When she smiles as soon as we stop the car to get her out, that's bad. Or when she's being fussy when one of is holding her, and then we give up. And when we hand her to someone else and then she smiles, that's bad.

It's not bad that she's happy, or not fussy anymore, or that she's okay. It's bad because she's not even 2 months old yet, and she's playing with our emotions, and she's winning too. I can see the future now. She'll be a bit older, like 2, and she'll draw all over one of our walls and I'll tell her to stop. She'll start crying, drop the crayons, and then I'll give in and say I'm sorry and give her a hug. She'll smile at me, I'll melt, and then she'll go back to drawing on the wall as soon as I turn around.

I guess it was inevitable that I was going to be a sucker for my little girl. After all, I'm a sucker for Mommy, so I guess I should have seen it coming. Oh well, it's still worth seeing both of them smile. And if you don't believe me, then check out these pictures from the last couple of days. If seeing her smile doesn't make you smile too, then I guess you're a stronger person than I am (or a heartless one, but whatever).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's priceless when they smile at you nothing else really matters at that moment! I melt all the time with Nolan & Kayleb I can’t helped it even if Nolan is being nutty!

Kaylani is a doll I enjoy seeing her pictures.