Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's only a day away

Luckily for me, Kaylani wakes up at 7am every morning so I can hold her for a few minutes before I head off to work. Even luckier for Mommy and me is that Kaylani wakes up at 7am after going to sleep at 8pm. This is especially good for us on days when I don't make it home until after 7pm, or after Kaylani's bedtime process starts, like today.

By 7:30am, I was out the door and on my way up to the new Yankee stadium for opening day. I'm not going to lie and say I was sorry to be leaving for the day because after all, I was going to see the Yankees first game ever at the new stadium! Maybe it was the slow pace of the game, or the fact that the Yankees got blown out in the late innings, but I found myself missing my little girl and hoping I could get home in time to see her before she went to bed. Unfortunately the baseball diehard in me didn't allow me to leave early to make things easier.

So because I'm such a baseball diehard, I had to "endure" 6 hours at the stadium before I could leave. It was tough being at the stadium 3 hours before the game started and waiting on line for my new authentic Teixiera jersey, or for the beer and hot dogs and sausages we waited for, but I survived. And believe it or not, the whole time I was thinking about Kaylani and Mommy. Well, some of the time at least.

I actually made it home by 7:30pm, which was minutes after Mommy put Kaylani to sleep. Since she was crying, I took the opportunity to head into her room and say goodnight to her which made my day. Seeing Kaylani and kissing her goodnight made a Yankees loss on opening day suddenly bearable. It was tough to be away from 7:30 to 7:30, but at least I got to say good morning and goodnight to my little girl. So win or lose for the Yankees, I'll always have Kaylani. And trust me, that's always a win.

No comments: