Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Silent Type

I'm a quiet guy. That may be hard for some people to believe, but when it comes down to it, I'm a quiet guy. I don't have much to say (unless it's a wiseass remark), and when I do, I like to think I don't blab away and drag on. But I do have a lot of things in my head, and I have even more things to say. Maybe that's why I write this blog.

As an add on to yesterday's FAQ blog, one of the most frequent questions I get is "how's the baby?" There are a million ways I could answer, but I usually say a few lines that seemingly sound like this: "She's doing great. Sleeps 11 hours straight at night so who can complain!" And then instead of elaborating on her new tricks, things she has or has not done, or will or will not do, I whip out my phone and show off a picture (which is currently Kaylani in her bunny outfit).

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing that I don't elaborate when people ask me how she is. I'm ridiculously proud of my little girl (as anyone who reads this blog could clearly attest to), but maybe I don't elaborate because I don't believe people actually care. Let me rephrase that before anyone gets offended. For some people, I think it's just a topic of small talk (which I'm not good at because I don't elaborate). For others that I know are asking because they actually want to know, I'll talk about Kaylani non-stop.

So where's the line between killing a conversation with a 2 line response and rambling on endlessly? I'm not sure I could even pick just a few key points to talk about because there's so much to say. Maybe I'll start adding a few more details when anyone asks until I figure out what's appropriate. Or maybe I'll just recite one of my recent posts. That might be the best way to get my story across. Maybe not the shortest way, but probably the best. And for any of you that have been reading along, let me know that upfront. That way I don't have to bore you with something you already know, which is an entirely different problem that I'll try and figure out on another day.

No comments: