Monday, March 23, 2009

But it's still light out...


Before Kaylani, I used to think that daylight savings was the greatest thing ever. It meant that the sun would still be shining when I got out of work, and that I could actually take advantage of it before heading inside for the night. And now that we have Kaylani, I can remember when I was really young and used to think that daylight savings was the greatest thing ever because it meant a few more hours of light, but never quite understood how I could be put to bed while the sun was still shining and I could take advantage of it by playing outside. I wonder if Kaylani thinks the same thing now.

Kaylani's bedtime is sometime between 7:30 and 8pm usually, which means the bedtime process on a night that includes bath time (like tonight) starts around 6:30pm. The first step of the process includes going up to Kaylani's room and closing her shades. That's when the memories hit me. Here I was, closing the shades in my daughter's room, and the sun was shining real bright. It just doesn't seem fair.

Now I know babies need to be on a routine and that going to sleep early breeds better sleep (and by I know, I mean I read in a book), but would it really be that bad to keep her up so she could take advantage of the sun just a little bit more? She could play outside with us, maybe even go for a walk with Mommy and Daddy after dinner, or just sit outside in the backyard and watch the sun go down when it gets a little warmer. Doesn't that sound like more fun than going to sleep?

On the other hand, I guess keeping her up a few extra hours would make her overtired, which would then make her sleep worse. And since her afternoon nap is usually over by 5pm at the latest, she wouldn't make it much past 8pm anyways. I guess we'll keep things the way they are, but it's only going to get worse from here on out since it's just the beginning of Spring right now. The sun is going to last longer and longer for awhile, and Kaylani is only going to get older and older. So I guess we'll put Kaylani to sleep whenever we want, whether the sun is out or not, because I know that's something that I won't be able to control for much longer.

And, as promised, here are pictures from the last bunch of days. I've been a little busy and haven't had a chance to post, but I do have pictures from every day so take a look and enjoy!

No comments: