Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Working Late

One of the reasons we moved to Lawrenceville about a year ago was so that Daddy could work closer to home. With our house being less than 10 minutes from the office, I'd say we did a pretty good job at accomplishing that goal. And now that we have Kaylani, having my office so close to home allows me to maximize my time at work AND my time with Kaylani...most of the time.

On normal days, I'll be home by 5:45 or 6pm at the latest, which gives me a good 1-2 hours to spend with Kaylani before she gets tucked away quietly in her crib. Back when Kaylani was just over a week old, I didn't think that 1-2 hours would be enough time for quality Daddy-Daughter bonding time. Over the last 16 weeks though, I've made the best of it and learned to maximize quality, not quantity (and make up for the quantity part on the weekends).

But today, I ran into my first "late" day in a long while. There are days when I take work home with me and get to it after spending my time with Kaylani (and Mommy), but today, was one of those days that I couldn't just take it home with me. I had a 4pm meeting at one of our partner agencies in NYC today that ran late. And since NYC is a solid hour train ride away (plus the 10 minute drive), I didn't get home until 7pm. This is going to make me sound real old (and spoiled) but 7pm is late!

Luckily for me (and unluckily for Mommy), Kaylani actually took a later nap then usual and woke up at 6pm, which meant her bedtime is being pushed back an hour. Breaking her routine isn't the best thing to do, but I gotta say I'm okay with it. After all, it gave me an extra hour to spend some time with her, and that's exactly what I needed after a long day at the office.

I know I'm one of the fortunate ones to be close to home. Not everyone gets to spend as much time with their kids and have a great hours and a great job, so for that I'm thankful. I can only imagine what it's like to go through this every day, but at the same time, I'm very glad I don't have to. Days like today make me realize that maybe my work-life balance isn't as off as I think it actually is. I guess the question is, is there actually such a thing as work-life balance?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be thankful for the many generations before you working 16 hour days in a dark factory so that you can work half days in an air conditioned office wearing clean clothes

Anonymous said...

Yes, and plus your boss is so amazing that she doesn't even mind when you leave work at 4 to get a haircut!

JonnyTam13 said...

I'm thankful for both and have learned my ways from both the generations before me and my boss.